Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Is In the Air, Rain Is On the Ground


 St. Joseph Orthodox Church, Wheaton, IL

Spring is here, I think. The snow is gone and it is raining, a good sign that it truly has arrived. It did take forever though, but by golly it has arrived. All of Wisconsin's seasons have something wonderful to offer for the senses, even winter. It's a good thing because, I am not sure if I would stick around during the winter if it didn't. I drove into Eau Claire today to go to the Dentist, and I have to admitt I missed the snow off in the pastures and rolling hills. Three weeks ago they were white and pristine, today brown and trying hard to green up a bit. They will, and when I make the drive into Eau Claire I will once again be amazed at the beauty. A week and a half ago, Nikolaus and I made a trip to Wheaton, IL to meet up with our priest from Hesperia, CA,  Fr. Paul Schellbach and his wife Patty. It was a cold and dreary start, I left Stanley snowing, and we had pretty nice weather in Wheaton.
Palm Sunday is the day when I can see spring in action. We went to St. Joseph Orthodox Church, a new, but small church on a residential street across from Wheaton College. The church was packed, people holding both palms and pussy willows, a Russian custom, the smell of incense wafting through the space. Afterwards, a spaghetti dinner in support of the church basketball team. It was all good. Driving back to Stanley after the luncheon took me back to memories of visiting my great grandparents in Rockford, IL, traveling through N. Illinois to my my father's hometown of Stockton, family friends in Princeton, Illinois, memories surging, unstoppable lovely memories.    














No comments:

Post a Comment