Wooohooo! It's Octoberfest Time in Chippewa Falls, WI ; a 25 minute drive west on HWY 29. Seonaid, my daughter was visiting from Las Vegas, and wanted to experience the local culture. So we all popped into her rental and hit the road. Driving down HWY 29 was a patchwork of red, gold, orange and green. The leaves were not in top form, but getting close. As we sped toward the Chippewa Fair Grounds we began to smell those brats cooking on the grill, the smell of Leinie's spilling on the floor, and the sound of polka bands. Stopping off at the local RCU's ATM in order to get some funds for our fun.
Arriving at the fair grounds we found a place to park, opening the door the smell of brats, sauerkraut, and chicken grilling wafted through the air. We had made it to the right place! We did have a bit of a walk, for me at least. I am in need of a hip replacement, and so it is at times very difficult to walk those bits of distance even with a cane. At the gate we paid our fee of $8.00 for the day, and headed in, being led by the smell of cooking food. First stop, however, was not for food, but to check out one of the halls. There I was given info on the German Club of Chippewa County. The woman handing me the bag, asked me in her native Wisconsin accent, "Are you from out of town?" I replied, "Well no, I live in Stanley, but recently moved from Las Vegas." Seonaid said, "I do live in LAs Vegas," and the woman replied, "I do too, in the winter." Collecting the bag, we left and found the nearest food stand. Doener Kababs, not very German, but frequently found in Germany due to the high Turkish population. We sat and ate them, and then lit off to get a beer and watch the people polka dance.
Two Leinies and a Miller Light please. Sitting down to enjoy the beer, and people watch. Taking photos, of older couples kicking up their heels, to the tune of The Redhead Polka. Not me, I didn't dance, hopefully by this time next year I will be able to do just that. I love polka, it's just so happy.
There really wan't that much to do, eat, drink, eat, and of course polka. We did end up getting an ice cream which was excellent, but after we ate it, we decided to begin the walk back to the car. Stopping to take photos at a facsade with a girl in a dirndl and boy in leiderhosen. Stopping once again to have photos taken with two colorful clowns. All in all today was a good day. The parking lot was a bit too far away for my issues, but there was a closer lot if you wanted to pay $2.00 more. The people were friendly, the food and drink was great, and the people watching excellent.

Leinis...as in Leinenkugel Beer? Is that whast it's called. My husband's mother's family is from that part of Wisconsin. Mainly around Cadot (if I spelled that right). Any Orthodox Churches up around there?
ReplyDeleteYes, as in Leinenkugel. I live 8 miles from Cadott, and spent last Saturday going to Booya Days. Small World!
ReplyDeleteYes there are two OCA churches not far from where I live. Holy Assumption in Lublin, and St. John the Baptist between Stanley and Huron. It's the oldest Orthodox Church built in 1901. Take a look at my photos labeled Wisconsin and you will see photos of both Cadott and St. John the Baptist.