Saturday, September 26, 2009

Farmer's Market Day in Stanley and An Auction in Thorp

Today I intended to take down the very ugly paneling in the porch, but I lost interest when I found out it was going to 38 degrees tonight. I didn't want to take it down and have the stuff in there freeze tonight. So I will wait and get the drywall, and the insulation before I make the move. So what did I do, you ask? I went to the Farmer's Market in my town of Stanley.

The Farmer's Markets tend to be small, limited to a few stands, and a small table with information about the town of Stanley.  Every Saturday through the Fall they have a small market where people come together to sell their produce and flowers.
Even though it is small, the farmers have a good variety. The first time I went to the market, I bought a little bit of everything. I was not able to eat it all, or cook it all so now I have to go with the idea that I can get a few things, and make it work for the week. I don't "can" yet, so it has to be small amounts that I know will get used. Today there were some beets as big as two fists, and lots of raspberries, which I did buy. Plan on putting them over some ice cream for Nikolaus' birthday celebration. The vendors were as different as the produce they sold. Amongst the vendors were Asian, Mennonite and Anglo. Pumpkins abounded, it's that time of year when families in Wisconsin decorate the front of their homes with corn shalks, pumpkins and scarecrows. It's great, just feels like Autumn is here. I will probably get the pumpkins next week when I attend the Thorp Pumpkin Festival. My bounty this week consisted of Raspberries, Green Peppers, Tomatoes, and something I have never seen before, Finger Potatoes.





So small you can eat them with your fingers. Microwave, boil, or bake, butter, sour cream, cheese from Wisconsin of course. I will figure something out, and let you know how it tastes.

After leaving the Farmer's Market I got on the 29 and drove to Thorp,  to visit a furniture store there. However, when I got there the store was closed and there was an auction going on at a house down the street. My first auction in Wisconsin, this was exciting! At the auction there were a lot of people gathered in the back yard. The caller was calling out numbers as I registered. I hope I can still find something good. For me it isn't the stuff; it's the hunt, the competition and winning. I think I won today. I bid $5.00 on a desk and chair and got it for $5.00!

What a ganga!!!! I love it! I also bid on an old bronze lamp, but I didn't want to bid $7, another gal picked it up for $6. someone helped me put it into the back of my Tucson, and I was on my way home. Another successful day in Stanley and Thorp, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment